The Nelson Mandela Museum, with three sites Bhunga, Qunu and Mvezo has dynamic and enviable opportunities to serve South Africa, as stewards of a living legacy, to share and learn the true story of Nelson Mandela in context, in ways that inspire and empower people.
The museum invites applications from suitably qualified, committed, competent and experienced South Africans to serve as SNR MANAGER HERITAGE & CONSERVATION. This is an opportunity to help create a caring value driven heritage institution of knowledge and excellence.
POSITION: SENIOR MANAGER HERITAGE & CONSERVATION
REF: Snr Mng H&C 5/2021
Remuneration Package: (R869 007- R1 023 645) p.a
Term is a 5-year FIXED-TERM contract.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of the job is to enhance strategic alignment at Nelson Mandela Museum in order for the organisation to grow and fulfil its mission, vision and strategic goals as a multi-layered cultural institution:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the incumbent will be responsible
- To ensure that the strategic goals and objectives of the Heritage Department are aligned with NMM’s mandate.
- To provide outstanding leadership for the department to deliver services and functions in accordance with the organisation’s strategic objectives, policies, budgets, asset management plans and statutory requirements.
Key Performance Areas:
The appointee will be required to give special attention to the delivery of the following:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Department.
- Enhance the internal processes and infrastructure that will enable the smooth running of various units with the Department.
- Prepare performance reports and support the CEO to present at Council, Department of Sports Arts & Culture, Treasury, Parliament, and other platforms.
- Provide Strategic management in accordance with the requirements of a National Museum
- Play a leading role in people management and staff development
- Ensure financial management in accordance with the PFMA, Treasury regulations etc.
- Oversee heritage & Research, Collections Management, Conservation & related compliance, Environmental management, Public heritage and education, policy development, compliance with National & International legislations and protocols.
- Implement Performance Management and Evaluation within the Heritage Department of the NMM
- Oversee the implementation of NMM’s Strategic Plan and Annual Performance Plans
- Ensure compliance with the museum’s code of ethics and standards in respect of museum and site maintenance, visitor management, interpretation, collections, and exhibitions.
Experience and Skills requirements:
- Diverse relevant experience.
- Up-to-date knowledge of Museum and theories applied in Heritage sectors.
- Commitment to and understanding of Heritage transformation in the South African context and Internationally.
- Understanding of the ideas that Dr Nelson Mandela represents.
- Demonstration of evidence of ability, leadership skills and initiatives to lead people.
- Experience and commitment to working in a democratic ethos.
- Minimum code 8 driver’s licence is a must.
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree in the Social Sciences, in Heritage/Museum Studies, History, Science or equivalent.
A qualification in education, as well as experience in research skills, would be an added advantage.
Senior Management Experience in Heritage is necessary.
Interested individuals who meet the above requirements should submit their applications using the details provided below in sealed envelopes accompanied by an updated CV and certified copies of qualifications, with a covering letter clearly marked REF: H&C 5/2021.
The Human Resources Manager
Nelson Mandela Museum
P.O Box 52808
OR Hand deliver to: Nelson Mandela Museum.
Corner Owen Str and Mandela Dr
FAXED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED BY NMM.
Correspondence will be limited to the short-listed candidates only. Applicants with a foreign qualification must submit a SAQA evaluation report of their qualifications. The NMM reserves the right not to fill this advertised position. The NMM is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to the achievement and maintenance of representativity (race, gender and disability).
The NMM fully subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity, and these principles will be applied in the appointment for these positions. Preference will be given to South African citizens. All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to competency assessment.
For all inquiries, contact Ms Y Khumelwana at 047 501 9522
Closing date: 04 June 2021, at 12h00 midday.